Member Gallery

scotty42
Area of Focus: Rapid Prototyping in Fusion, Education

Member Gallery

Postby scotty42 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:44 am

This would be the place for small group members to link monthly updates of your current project status using screenshots, download links, etc. Please update a few days before the meeting time so others have time to reflect and generate useful feedback. If you have an emergency and are unable to attend, your gallery update will help fill in for your absence.
Last edited by scotty42 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotty42

Tau Aleph by Scott Jacobson

Postby scotty42 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Project Pitch:
You are a lonely daydreamer, mercilessly bullied and suffering from frequent blackout hallucinations. One day you meet a mysterious visitor from another world desperately seeking your help.
Project Description:
A 2D Adventure game with a message. Made in Fusion. Black and white hand drawn style (Pencil Whipped, Ballpoint Universe). After receiving your time travel amulet you are teleported to another world/time. As you explore the world and activate the amulet you can observe the environment change as you warp through 8 specific critical times in this world’s history. Your mission is to right the wrongs and restore the original timeline (allegorical parallel to our own salvation story).

ALPHA DEMO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scotty42

Nick Depalo (placeholder)

Postby scotty42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:57 am

matthew.j.colon
Area of Focus: Art, Programming, Music, Design

Dark Chess

Postby matthew.j.colon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Project Pitch:
Chess is a game of perfect knowledge; you see the entire board and where your opponent is at all times. However, what if you could only see your pieces and their valid move locations? Suddenly, your game goes from one of cold logic to one of scouting, hiding, and sniping your opponent's pieces when they least expect it. This is Dark OmniChess.

Project Description:
This project is two-fold: the first part is to create a core chess game using the JavaScript frameworks React for UI and Redux for state (OmniChess, since my theoretical game company name is Omnipoof), and the second is to build the dark chess variant on top of that core chess game (Dark OmniChess). The goal is that the core chess game would provide a theme-able chess platform for others to extend with their own ideas (e.g. what if there was a piece that moved in this way?), and then to likewise extend it with the dark chess variant in a separate repository. The theme-ability would include being able to provide your own game images, included animated ones, so when you extend the game you can easily add more images for new pieces and such as needed.

Why React/Redux?
At the time I joined this small group, I just started my job at Adobe as a frontend developer. They use the React/Redux frameworks in the product, which I had not worked with before, so I needed a way to combine both ramping up with the technologies being used as well as build a game as part of this small group. Using React/Redux for this game was a perfect way to do this.

Why Chess/Dark Chess?
I've been asking an interview question for years where the candidate needs to design how to represent a chess game (board, pieces, etc.) and implement the valid moves for a piece. After a while, I decided I'd like to see how hard this would be to see through to the end. Turns out, pretty difficult due to the complexities of the game that you don't realize at a glance when you play with a physical board and pieces, but it has been a fun challenge on which to work.

As for dark chess, I had the idea of this variant due to my experiences playing "fog of war" strategy games such as the Warcraft/Starcraft and Advance Wars series, and thought it would be interesting to apply this to chess. I later discovered that this variant had been around since 1989 in which it involved a referee and three boards, one for each player with the dark variant and one for the ref with all the pieces. I'm interested to see how this would play out on top of my core chess platform and what it feels like to play a familiar game like this under the cover of the fog of war.

Current Status (as of this post):
The core logic for the game is completed other than for a few corner cases, so the most recent effort has been on the UI. Once the UI has been completed, the corner cases addressed, and the platform made generic for others to extend, I will build the dark chess variant on top of this platform.

Roadmap:
April 12th: Finalize UI design
May 10th: Make chess platform theme-able and extendable
June-July: Implement the dark chess variant
July 19th-21st: Show the completed game at CGDC 2018

Links:
http://chess.omnipoof.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_chess

Screenshots:
OmniChess:
New UI Design

Displaying piece selection and its valid moves:
Selection and Valid Moves

The piece tracker shows the original pieces on the board and which have been captured:
Piece Tracker

A splash of red for a king in check:
Check State

A splash of purple for a checkmated king:
Checkmate State
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fallonbraddy
Area of Focus: Music, Writing, Programming (CTF 2.5), Game Design

Tabletop Adventure Module Maker

Postby fallonbraddy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Project Pitch:
GM Word documents are horrendous. I mean, just look at 'em. Scrolling through 9+ pages of pre-written content, notes w/o any formatting scattered throughout, a complete lack of ability to organize and find information in a meaningful way. The traditional handbook model used in published books and more recently the DM's Guild are similarly archaic in the modern world of ctrl+F, links, and databases. Tabletop Adventure Module Maker (TAMM; working title) is for GMs of any tabletop RPG who want to write their illustrious stories however they want, but with organizational structures in place to create a centralized platform to run, play, and share their adventures.

Project Description:
TAMM aims to create a wiki-like interface that allows for content to be entered and formatted to the liking of the GM, but with user-friendly tools to link key pages throughout the document, document search features, and hotkeys. TAMM documents will be easily shareable as well, allowing for the distribution of adventure modules. TAMM is initially intended to run on PC, but with hopes to expand to other platforms as development progresses.

Sounds pretty basic, why make a whole program for something someone could make an actual website for?
It's kinda funny, cuz this whole thing is essentially being prototyped as a website. But the hope is to expand on functionality through the use of a dedicated program. The project is pretty early in the conceptual phases of development; having the freedom to experiment with various features is a must. Aaaaaaaaaand, there's a possibility it can run in a web-browser as well, so maybe we'll get the best of both worlds?

K, how far along are you?
This idea has been brewing for 2+ years... but a prototype has been developed for how a finished project should look (with minimum functionality). Currently, development hell has set in. Having a programming platform crisis!

Here's a link to the prototype (using an adventure written by yours truly): https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/57237dd4e7d6304e45c30a61/57d9b09df241fd56a8e71f47/0afcea321fca8b5f9d7272c836500bfb/The_Plight_of_Valdoridian.html

Okay, that's pretty cool.

Immediate Plan:
*Find a suitable programming platform method that does not require that I learn a language. This means either:
--figuring out how to do it in Clickteam Fusion 2.5 :?
--getting someone else to program it :oops:
*Based on the programming platform, develop and implement tools.

Return to “Scott Jacobson's Small Group”